The rel=canonical in Seo, or “canonical link”, is an HTML element that helps webmasters prevent duplicate content issues. The canonical meta tag is placed in the <head> block of a product or category page. It provides a link to your preferred URL, so search engines will give it greater weight.
To enable the canonical meta data:
- Admin menu > System > Configuration. Then in the panel on the left under Catalog, select Catalog.
- Click to expand the SEO section.
- To index only pages that have a full category path, follow this:
- Use Canonical Link Meta Tag for Categories > Yes
- Use Canonical Link Meta Tag for Products > No
- To index only product pages, follow this:
- Use Canonical Link Meta Tag for Categories > No
- Use Canonical Link Meta Tag for Products > Yes
- When you are done click Save button.
Indicate the preferred URL with the
rel="canonical" link element
Suppose you want http://www.corina-ciobotaru.com/ to be the preferred URL, even though a variety of URLs can access this content. You can indicate this to search engines as follows:
- Mark up the canonical page and any other variants with a rel=”canonical” link element.
<link>element with the attribute
<head>section of these pages:
<link rel="canonical" href="http://www.corina-ciobotaru.com/" />
This indicates the preferred URL to use to access the SEO post so that the search results will be more likely to show users that URL structure. (Note: We attempt to respect this, but cannot guarantee this in all cases.)
Be excellent to each other.
Boston Seo Services – Digital Marketing ®